Monday, August 12, 2013

The one where we saddle up & ride!

Way back in like February, I had seen a deal on Living Social about a 2 for 1 horseback ride in the Perth hills with Avonlea Farms.  I talked to Jaret & he was game so I went ahead and bought the deal.  The deal was good until the 1st week of September...plenty of time! (right???)
Fast forward to August and the voucher was still hanging on the refrigerator.  So we called the place and asked for the first available ride and we booked it for August 10th.  I think the lady had mercy on me because she originally told me they were booked through September (no bueno!)  But she booked us for a 4:30 ride.  The more I thought about it, I thought that was neat since it would finish our ride at sunset.
Sadly the weather in Perth has been very wet lately and sure enough Saturday morning it was pouring!  So we waited it out and thankfully about 3:00 the weather cleared up! (and stayed clear until the last 5 minutes of our ride, so we just got a little damp, but we didn't melt).
Our ride was with another young couple (who were actually heading to Vegas in 2 weeks and asked us for advice, they were also shocked to hear that alcohol is free when you gamble in America....are you listening Australia????)  Anyways......
neither Jaret or I had ridden horses for many years, but the people seemed pretty confident in our abilities and assigned us horses.  My horse was named Meg....she was very stubborn.  She had been on the ride right before ours so I think Meg was just ready for dinner and a cocktail!  But here she is!
 
Once we were all on, we were off!  I didn't get too many pictures since I was trying to keep Meg on task and not stop to eat grass every 5 seconds.  (Like I said, Meg was over it).  But we were in a beautiful area in the hills and it was an awesome ride.



 
A little ways in, our guide stopped so our horses could have a snack.  It made me giggle because our guide was on a smaller horse and wasn't using a saddle.  So her feet were hanging and just hovering over the ground and she just looked funny. The guy from the couple with us had never ridden a horse before and was behind me...I told Jaret, the guy looked VERY nervous most of the time...poor guy.





 
It was a super fun outing, especially with all the rain lately it was nice to get out for some fresh air.  And I will have everyone know, that Jaret and I were good Texans and wore our cowboy boots...the people working on the farm didn't even have the correct boots on!  But we forgave them :)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment