Saturday, August 3, 2013

The one where we have visitors

Way back like in February...my college friend Lindsay said she wanted to come visit later in the year...and I said 'Come on over!!'.  So she booked a trip for the end of June.
Then we went home to Texas for 4 weeks from mid-may to mid-June.  While we were home my friend Kayce was trying to plan a trip and asked if she could just fly back with us.  I said 'Toats!'
So I was going to have 2 friends come visit in 2 weeks...I was so excited!!

The first day Kayce was here, we went to Caversham Wildlife Park.  We had already been to one, but we heard this one was a little nicer and closer to Perth.  The kangaroo area was worth the price of admission itself!




 
The next day...Kayce and I went to explore Kings Park.  I had been to one area of the park before, but there were other sections I had been wanting to check out as well. It's a beautiful park!


 
 
After walking around for a while, we climbed up what's called the DNA tower.  As you can see, it looks like a strand of DNA.  It's 101 steps and at the top you get a 360 view of the city.  I honestly didn't think the view was that great, but it was something fun to do!
 
After a fun-filled week...Kayce headed back to Houston.  Then after a quick reset, Lindsay came in a day later.
We didn't let Linds rest too long as we had plans to do an adults only wine country tour in Swan Valley as a farewell to the Letona's.
Now forgive me, as the day became a bit of a blur and I didn't get very many pictures, but here is the group at our last stop of the day.
 
I also took Linds to the wildlife park so she could have her turn at playing with the kangaroos.  But this time, while we were at the koalas, the keepers got one of the koalas off its branch so we could snuggle.
 
We also went to the beach, so Linds could see the Indian Ocean.  Obviously it was a bit cold so we didn't go in, but we had a beautiful day to enjoy the beach for a while.


 
One day, Linds and I went to the Perth Mint.  I didn't even know Perth had a mint, but we had a coupon and some time, so we went to check it out. 
It actually used to be part of the Royal mint that made money to use...now it makes collectors coins.  There was a huge collection of gold and we even got to see some Sydney Olympic medals.  They were made at the Perth mint!  We even got to see a gold pour which made a block of gold....however....we couldn't take pictures of any of that.  So the only picture we got was when we got a history of the mint and they showed us replicas of famous pieces of gold (didn't know there was such a thing!). I was trying to look like I was 'borrowing' a piece of 'gold'.
 
And on Linds' last day, we went down to the Fremantle Markets.  We had heard a lot about them, but had just never made it there.  It was really neat, basically a big flea market type thing with a bunch of Australian made items.  And we know next time that they have a lot of good looking food down there too!

 
I loved having friends come visit!! I have another coming next month and my parents in October, so I am becoming quite the tour guide!! :)

 
 
 





No comments:

Post a Comment